Adult 37,000 - JPY （Child 20,000 JPY）
This is very rare occasion that you can visit private atelier of a traditional Japanese indigo dyeing artist. You can learn and experience the world of true "Japan Blue", which is on the verge of distinct here in Mt. Fuji area.
The artist usually does not accept visitors for casual experience. She welcomes the visits on this program, which is designed and attended by local licensed guides who have been closely working with her.
Through this program, she is hoping that "Japan Blue" be recognized by those who love traditional local cultures coexisting with ecosystem, and be given new life into the future.
Recently, "Japan Blue" experience programs are being made available as a tourism attraction at some shops in popular sightseeing spots. But what they are providing is specifically designed "attraction", NOT real life. In this program, you can experience the real life of "Japan Blue" artist.
If you are interested in real "Japan Blue", do not miss this special opportunity!
- Adult (age 13-99) 37,000 - JPY
- 2 persons/reservation: 43,000 JPY/person
- 3 persons/reservation: 39,000 JPY/person
- 4 persons/reservation: 37,000 JPY/person
- Child (age 6-12) 20,000 JPY
Indigo dyeing materials and tools
T-shirt or scarf for indigo dyeing
- Departure Point
658-1 Asahisoshi, Tsuru, Yamanashi 402-0015, Japan
- Departure Time
- Return Details
Returns to original departure point
This is an unique opportunity to visit private atelier of a traditional Japanese indigo dyeing ("Japan Blue") artist, which is located in deep mountain near Mt. fuji. The artist Ms. Fumiko Sato will explain about "Japan Blue" and help you to dye your own item -T-shirt or scarf. "Japan Blue" is a gift from mother nature. Through series of collaborations with microorganisms, colorless substances in the indigo leaves are transformed to breathtakingly beautiful blue pigment. The microorganisms need appropriate oxygen density, power of hydrogen, temperature, and nutrients. In order to maintain the environment where the microorganisms can work, Fumiko literally lives with the indigo; she lives and sleeps beside indigo fermentation pots, checking indigo's color/taste/sound, stirring the pots, heating with charcoal stoves, and adding timber ashes from stove. This painstaking technique is almost distinct after advent of mass production chemical dyeing system. But only traditionally dyed items have such characteristics as long lasting color, strengthening fibers, antibiotic effects, quick drying; wisdom of humankind. You can witness this world cultural heritage here in Mt. Fuji area!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 18 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Houdini Corporation
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.