- Adult (age 13-99) ¥37,300
- 2 persons/reservation: 43,000 JPY/person
- 3 persons/reservation: 39,000 JPY/person
- 4 persons/reservation: 37,000 JPY/person
- Child (age 6-12) ¥20,000 Maximum: 2
Indigo dyeing materials and tools T-shirt or scarf for indigo dyeing
- Departure Point 658-1 Asahisoshi, Tsuru, Yamanashi 402-0015, Japan
- Departure Time 1:00 PM
- Return Details Returns to original departure point
This is an unique opportunity to visit private atelier of a traditional Japanese indigo dyeing ("Japan Blue") artist, which is located in deep mountain near Mt. fuji. The artist Ms. Fumiko Sato will explain about "Japan Blue" and help you to dye your own item -T-shirt or scarf. "Japan Blue" is a gift from mother nature. Through series of collaborations with microorganisms, colorless substances in the indigo leaves are transformed to breathtakingly beautiful blue pigment. The microorganisms need appropriate oxygen density, power of hydrogen, temperature, and nutrients. In order to maintain the environment where the microorganisms can work, Fumiko literally lives with the indigo; she lives and sleeps beside indigo fermentation pots, checking indigo's color/taste/sound, stirring the pots, heating with charcoal stoves, and adding timber ashes from stove. This painstaking technique is almost distinct after advent of mass production chemical dyeing system. But only traditionally dyed items have such characteristics as long lasting color, strengthening fibers, antibiotic effects, quick drying; wisdom of humankind. You can witness this world cultural heritage here in Mt. Fuji area!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 18 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Houdini Corporation
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.